Caleu - Ocoa (english)
All year. Ideal in late May and early June, when the oaks are bright red.
From Santiago, take the Pan American Highway (Route 5) toward the north. The detour to Rungue is at kilometer 54. You should take that exit and enter the village. Where the road ends for which we come, you must turn left and a few yards ahead, turn right (the street ends anyway) for a railway crossing and then a bridge over a stream. Immediately after crossing the creek, you turn left and begin to border the estuary by a gravel road in good. It then skirting the reservoir Rungue. After 3.9 kilometers from the Pan-American and just after crossing a bridge guy, there's a right turn ( "A Caleu"), which should take. This road, also of rubble in good is through a valley and rises progressively. In approximately 11 miles from the diversion (14.9 from the Pan-American) has reached a fork Caleu and arises: should be left, which continues to climb uphill. Above 970 meters, just before the step Olmué Valley, there is the way the hilltop oak right.
Public transport and hitchhiking
From La Paz bus terminal located on Avenida La Paz and Calle Davila Baeza, buses depart daily at Til Til, from 6 am and every 15 minutes. At 1600 hrs, get a bus to Caleu. Value $ 1,600 ticket. It's a very busy road, so the chances of hitchhiking are rather high. Route description == ==Cerro El Roble (road vehicle). The path is wide and pleasant in the shade of the oaks far north of the southern hemisphere, and goes on a gentle slope on the southern slope of the ridge that separates the two valleys. After 2.3 kilometers, the trail passes the north side of the ridge, more sun exposure, and scrubby vegetation suddenly disappear oaks, but getting in return a beautiful view of palm Ocoa at our feet. It should walk a mile wide along this route until it joins an old quartz mine (on the southern slope). At this point, begin a short steep section for cyclists (no problem for walkers) labeled as "steep part" on the map.
- If the path is done in the sense described (Caleu - Ocoa) is perfectly possible (especially on bike but also on foot) climb to the summit of Oak (see Cerro El Roble (road vehicle), then go down and take the fork to Olmué.
- When the steep part ends and the trail is reached "La Mina", you can turn right and just 200 meters further, reaching the quartz mine and a mysterious bus abandoned in the middle of the stream (? ).
- From "Bifurcation cascade 2", you can take the detour to the waterfall and then, instead of returning to the route by which we were, and continue on that path until the junction in "Bifurcation cascade 1".
- Trekking: In a normal pace, this trek should take about 4 to 5 hours between the gate and access to the Oak Ocoa CONAF.
- Mountain Bike: Nearly two and a half hours to three hours.
It is possible to reduce both times in about 40 minutes if you drive up to the bifurcation to Ocoa.
Permits / Fees
It must pay $ 1,500 per person to enter. The door is open weekends and holidays from 9 to 17 hours. ShoulIn case it is a working day and you want to cross the gate with car, first call 84759457 or Mobile 87231141 (better the first).
- Headlight is recommended to take to travel the first few meters of the quartz mine which names the path "La Mina" (which is in the valley of Ocoa, not the edge)
- The section from the "bifurcation cascade 2" is described in more detail in PN La Campana, Ocoa
Map and waypoints in Google Earth
- Route Caleu - Full Ocoa.
- Ruta del sector Ocoa National Park. Displays the version that goes between "Bifurcation cascade 2" and "bifurcation cascade 1".
- Ruta del Cerro El Roble. For anyone who wants to go further to the summit (although the route is very clear because it is vehicular)
To download the file right-click and then select "Save file as" (IE) or "Save link as" (Firefox, Chrome). By trying to open it directly, some browsers will show the raw code with the coordinates.
- Meteochile Región de Valparaíso
- Accuweather Valparaíso
- Accuweather Viña del Mar
- Meteochile Región Metropolitana
- Accuweather Santiago
- Accuweather Puente Alto