GPT00 - An introduction
- Main Article: Greater Patagonian Trail
The GPT is not a public trail and no agency or foundation cares for this project so no official body provides any information and updates to the GPT. For this reason it is the task of the hikers’ community to collaborate in the publication of the GPT by issuing and updating the section articles.
To get access to the Track Files for navigation on the GPT download the Hiker's Manual and read Chapter 1 carefully.
GPT Hikers's Manual: http://bit.ly/GPTmanual
To obtain the GPT Track Files you are asked to sign up on Wikiexplora in order to update and contribute to the trail documentation.
Track File Request: http://www.wikiexplora.com/Greater_Patagonian_Trail_track_files
As a minimum all hikers and packrafters should:
1. Provide important updates and alerts on Wikiexplora under “Recent Alerts and Suggestions” as soon as feasible.
2. Add yourself and your hiking partner to the section log under “Season Section Log” after you completed a section or section combination. This section log entry should contain:
- your section start date (the actual date when you started walking on this section),
- your names (or alias or your Wikiexplora username if you prefer more privacy),
- your hiking duration (how many days it took you from the section start to the finish),
- your hiking direction (southbound or northbound),
- describe your chosen route (i.e. hiking or packrafting route), the used options (if not following the entire regular route) and combinations with other sections (if your combined several sections without resupplying off the trail)
- and your personal perception of the section attractiveness, difficulty and comments that you consider beneficial.
3. If you have new useful information or you find an error in a section description, then update any other item of the Wikiexplora Section Article yourself during your hike or after returning home.
- 1 Recent Alerts and Suggestions
- 2 Season Section Log
- 3 Summary Table
- 4 Satellite Image Map
- 5 Elevation Profile
- 6 Section Planning Status
- 7 Recommended Travel Period
- 8 Benefits of Hiking and Packrafting
- 9 Recommended Travel Direction
- 10 Section Length and Travel Duration
- 11 Suitable Section Combinations
- 12 Section Attractiveness
- 13 Section Difficulty
- 14 Resupply
- 15 =
- 16 Access to Route and Return
- 17 Permits, Entry Fees and Right-of-Way Issues
- 18 Regular Route
- 19 Optional Routes
- 20 Investigations and Explorations
- 21 Links to other Resources
- 22 Alerts and Logs of Past Seasons