Lo Valdés - Termas de Colina (english)
- Trekking: As there is a vehicular road along the whole trek, only makes sense to do this walk in winter when the road is closed. Normally this happens from the first significant snowfall (usually late May or early June) until late September. Once the road has been open for vehicular passage, the Baths of hill became a destination "for the whole family," very busy, and no longer a goal from the outdoors point of view.
- Randonnée: Between June and August. Unless there recently snowed, it may well be necessary to load the skis throughout the first half of the slope of the afflicted. After crossing the Hill Bridge, this should not be necessary to return to the very hot springs.
Access by car and the road status
From the intersection at las Vizcachas (Avenida Camilo Enríquez and Avenida Eyzaguirre, km 0), take the road G-25 towards Cajón del Maipo, and follow it until km 65.1 (asphalt ends in the km 66.3 just before Lo Valdés) where there is a bifurcation. To the left, it leads to Baños Morales along a dirt road, located on the other side of the El Volcán river. Between June and September this road might be closed if there have been recent snowstorms. You can check the road status with Carabineros at San Gabriel (+56228611008 y +56228612290) although their answers tend to be on the conservative side. Instead of taking the left turn to Baños Morales, continue 2.1 kilometers down the road we have been following until the end of the gathering area of the gypsum mine. In winter, it is usual that there is a gravel barrier at the end of this area of collecting that prevents the passage of vehicles. Just after this (possible) barrier begins, clearly visible, the slope of the afflicted.
Access by public transport and hitchhiking
Public busses to Cajón del Maipo
- Public busses (subsidized): El Alfalfal – San José de Maipo; Baños Morales (Lo Valdés) – El Volcán – San José de Maipo and El Volcán–San José de Maipo cost CLP$1200 (US$ 1.7 as of January 2021). It can cost as little as $300 for shorter distances.
- Turmaipo: From October to January first, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. Daily in January and February. Departures at 7:30 AM and from Baños Morales at 18:000. It departures from Terminal de Metrobuses Bellavista de la Florida, platform E, or from Las Mercedes (Puente Alto) around 7:50. In San José de Maipo at about 8:35, to finally reach Baños Morales around 10:15. CLP$8000 (US$ 11.3 as of January 2021) round trip to Baños Morales, cheaper for shorter distances. Phone: +56228424208, +56222830082, +56228611518, cell +56982896718
- Buses TurMarzur: Phone +56993357800
Private vans to Cajón del Maipo
- Turismontaña: +56991219203
- Baños Morales: CLP$10000 (US$ 14.1 as of January 2021) round trip, per person, $12000 if you return a different day.
- Embalse El Yeso: CLP$10000 (US$ 14.1 as of January 2021) per person
- Turismo Arpue: CLP$10000 (US$ 14.1 as of January 2021) per person. Bookings at least 24 hours in advnace +56222117165 - +56226818475 cel: +56999320108
Both companies depart from Baquedano Metro Station (red and green lines), at the side of Telefónica building. The departure is at 7:30, to reach Baños Morales at about 10:00.
Route descriptionPurple Glacier and Refuge Plantat, among others) the road becomes much flatter, running without interruption for the north bank of the river to the same hot springs. Forward will be observed the ways of gypsum mine (no activity between May and October) and some abandoned huts, partially covered with snow. At this point, the road starts to turn south, and appears Pointed (4.126m) as a backdrop. After some promontories
If you are going supplemental account one day and snow was good team from this point you may continue to the spectacular Nieves Negras Glacier, which requires an additional day.
Where have randonée or snowshoeing, take between 4 hours and 6 hours. Travelers without snowshoes, take about seven. The return should take four to five hours, more for walkers.
Permits / Fees
While the vehicular road is cut, this route does not require entry permits or paid. While the vehicular road is open (October to May) is charged $ 5,000 per person at the entrance to the baths.
- Since reaching the end of this trek makes a big difference to be half way (with cold and hot springs) from very early is recommended, especially for those who do not wear snowshoes or skis.
- It is VERY IMPORTANT to ensure maximum quality of the spa facilities. Indeed, any trekkero or skier would not have reason to touch them. The Covarrubias, owners of the baths, are unable to care facilities in the winter months because of isolation, so are left to rely on the wisdom of the adventurers who come in those months. Take care facilities!
You can hire horses with Roberto Molina and Katerina Cáceres, departing from Baños Morales. Ph: 02-87100051, 91667566. Fares are around CLP $10.000 (US 18) per horse. But this is unlikely in the months of winter.
Waypoints in Google Earth
To download the file right-click and then select "Save file as" (IE) or "Save link as" (Firefox, Chrome). By trying to open it directly, some browsers will show the raw code with the coordinates.