GPT34H - Lago General Carrera
|All GPT sections (click to show)|
Recent Alerts and Suggestions
- 2023-Feb-20 / NOBO / Ondrej and Bara / Chile Chico - Puerto Ibanez by ferry
Current ferry schedule (as of Feb 2023):
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 8am and 5pm from Chile Chico to Puerto Ibanez, 12pm and 8pm from Puerto Ibanez to Chile Chico.
- Tuesday, Thursday: 8am from Chile Chico to Puerto Ibanez, 8pm from Puerto Ibanez to Chile Chico.
- Saturday: 9am from Chile Chico to Puerto Ibanez, 12pm from Puerto Ibanez to Chile Chico.
- Sunday: 4pm from Chile Chico to Puerto Ibanez, 7pm from Puerto Ibanez to Chile Chico.
Season Section Log
|GPT34H: Ferry General Carrera||Hiking||Packrafting|
|Group||H: Aysen Sur||Total||-||-||-||-|
|Region||Chile: Aysén (XI)||Trails (TL)||-||-||-||-|
|Start||Puerto Ingeniero Ibañez (Puerto)||Minor Roads (MR)||-||-||-||-|
|Finish||Chile Chico (Puerto)||Primary Roads (PR)||-||-||-||-|
|Status||Published & Verified||Cross-Country (CC)||-||-||-||-|
|Traversable||Sep - May||Bush-Bashing (BB)||-||-||-||-|
|Packraft||Ferry Only||Ferry (FY)||(35.4 km)||(100.0%)||-||-|
|Connects to||GPT33H, GPT33P, GPT34P, GPT35||Investigation (I)||-||-||-||-|
|Hiking||Packrafting||Total on Water||-||-|
|Direction||Both ↓↑||-||Fjord (FJ)||-||-|
Elevation Profile of Regular Hiking Route
Section Planning Status
Recommended Travel Period
Benefits of Hiking and Packrafting
Recommended Travel Direction
Section Length and Travel Duration
Suitable Section Combinations
Town: Chile Chico. Chile Chico is slightly larger than Puerto Ingeniero Ibañez and has more housing and food options. It also has a larger grocery store and is the better resupply option.
Services: ATM and Money Exchange
Accommodation: Hostals and Hotels
Transport: Ground Transport
Transport: Shipping Services
Resupply on the Trail
Location, Names, Available Items and Services
Access to Route and Return
Access to Start
Return from Finish
Permits, Entry Fees and Right-of-Way Issues
- Route description by Kara Davis after Season 2017/18:
Tickets for the ferry, operated by Somarco, from Puerto Ingeniero Ibañez to Chile Chico may be purchased at the docks or online at: http://www.barcazas.cl/barcazas/wp/region-de-aysen/lago-general-carrera/
There is a fantastic waiting area at the dock in Puerto Ingeniero Ibañez with wifi, bathrooms, and a small café. Before you arrive at Puerto Ingeniero Ibañez, check the ferry schedule. Although Somarco has a fairly reliable schedule, it is possible the ferry may not run every day. It takes a little over two hours to cross the lake.